Another classic for the in-between weather. Pair with pasta or french fries, if you’re feeling Belgian.
French Mussels with White Cream Sauce
Show your studying abroad wasn't in vein.
- 2 lbs mussels scrubbed and debearded
- 3/4 cup white wine Pinot Grigio (suggested)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 8 oz spaghetti or linguini optional
- red pepper flakes optional
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until browned. Add wine, cream, and butter. Cook until butter has melted (about 3 minutes). Add salt, pepper, mussels and parsley. Stir all ingredients together and cover. Cook until mussels open (about 15 minutes). Place mussels in a large serving bowl and ladle with cream sauce.
- Optional:Remove mussels from cream sauce and place into a separate bowl. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened (about 3-5 minutes). Add 1/2 lb of cooked pasta. Garnish with red pepper flakes and serve aside mussels.